Monday, April 03, 2006

I love New York

..it's a famous line that u can see on many t-shirts, plastic bags, key rings and other tourist products. Basically the line is everywhere, including 3 t-shirts that I have come to own in the past week. One in black, another in white and a third in pink with lots of signatures on it from friends out here.

I think it's true, many people do love this city and who can blame them when they are encouraged to by reading that statement over and over again. But why do people love New York? It's a city of great opportunities but it can be a very lonely place. It's an expensive city, not clean, full of rodents (yes I see rats on a regular basis on the subway tracks), the streets smell and most people don't have a washing machine in their apartments so they have to take it to a launderette. I've had a great time seeing all the architecture and experiencing some of the many cultures and activities that are present in this city. Unlike some people that more here though I've been part of an amazing community.. one that loves, supports, encourages and challenges me. I think it's this experience that has been so special about my time here.

Anyway I'm into my final few days here and I've got to think about how to pack my greatly incrased amount of belongings up.. in between going out for morning worship, gym, breakfast, lunch AND dinner everyday between now and Thursday.

1 Comments:

At 7:18 am, Blogger RichB said...

Don't think I've ever seen anyone with an "I love London" T-shirt... not quite sure why!? (maybe it deserves a blog!)

I don't really think it's because it's much more expensive or dirtier or rodent-friendly than NY (although it is probably all of the above)...

Maybe it's the "village" nature of New York that makes it more of a home to people, maybe they feel they belong SOMEWHERE - wheras London is much more a homogenous mass (presuming you exclude Brixton, Southall, Golders Green, Chinatown and Romford!).

Or maybe it's the pace of life, or the fact that no matter where you are in NY, you're not too far from the seaside, a park or some weirdo wandering around on the sidewalk.

... or maybe it's just the weather.

London today is sunny, 9-degrees with slightly chilly winds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home