Saturday, October 08, 2005

Not singin' in the rain!

It is RAINING in New York! Until today I didn't understand why Brandie had these decorative wellies but it seems that it rains a lot in New York and people have made a fashion statement out of keeping their feet dry by wearing rain boots. So I've seen plenty of colourful wellies today and am thinking of investing in some if it keeps on raining.

Apparently the rain causes the subways to close (where have I heard of that before?) but the bus system isn't as reliable as London so lots of people stay in when it rains, and I can understand it too. I know we get rain like this in London but it seems worse here, maybe because it's rained heavily all day. The large bowl that I put where the drip is coming through the ceiling first thing this morning is about half full and there a big puddles of water that haven't managed to drain away yet. The weather's still quite warm, so it's humid at the moment but the wind is cold.

I guess you'll have heard about the subway terror threats over in NY. The disruption and response of people is fairly similar to London but it's interesting for me being here having been in London when the bombings happened there as I feel much more equipped to pray for the situation.

People keep telling me I'm not talking enough about who I'm hanging out with over here so here's a quick run-down:
- Lindsey is my flat mate, who some of you met when she came through London a couple of months ago with her sister Ashley
- Brandie and Layne are recent flat mates, they moved to New Jersey (across the river) this week
- Sina is a girl who just moved here from... Colorado??? She sings and is a previous (youth) intern of Kevin's.
- Robby is also an ex-intern of Kevin's from a few years ago. He seems to come from... everywhere. He's an actor.
- Liset is Dominican and the wife of Eli, who plays guitar at church when he's not on tour.
- Doug, Mary Clare and Pristine are the other interns at the church. Doug is Brandie's brother, Mary Clare is from North Carolina and Pristine is Filipino.. she's going to cook Adobo Chicken for us in a couple of weeks time (yum) when she gets back from mission in Turkey.
- Rachael is on the sound team and was stage manager last week at the PureLife conference
- Justin is the guy heading up the sound team while the leader of the sound team is in Greece for 2.5 months modelling!
- Rick is another guy on the sound team
- Marina is a model who lives just down the street from Lindsey and I. She's from Hawaii.
- Erin is just wonderful in so many ways... She's currently studying graphic design and loves to pray
- Lauren is one of the worship leaders at the church, also from North Carolina with an adorable southern accent
- Josh is a friend of Lindsey's and a model
- Reanan is good friends with Layne, she is Mexican and is so so funny. she has the most hilarious naughty sounding laugh.

There's more but I'll stop there for now, don't want to make you too jealous that I'm having such an amazing time meeting and working with all these people! I can't believe a month is up already!! The time has flown by quickly but I feel fairly well integrated into activities here because of my involvement with the sound team and having done PureLife. Oh and by the way, guess who I saw at PureLife? Lisa Shippey!!! We completely did the girls screaming at one another for a good ten seconds or more when we saw each other last week. I didn't get to spend much time with her because my role at the conference was quite time consuming but she's doing well and it was so nice to see her and do a bit of catching up.

Today we went to Artisan, a prayer gathering for people working in the arts, fashion and entertainment industries. Artisan started in London and meets there monthly but this gathering was the second one in New York. It was good to see so many people there praying for one another, their industries, industry leaders and people they knew personally within their industries. It was funny because there were so many people from Morning Star New York, our church, at the event. I proudly wore my Every Nation London t-shirt to identify myself with my spiritual family and my roots in London.

2 Comments:

At 11:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call yourself a farmers daughter wearing wellies like that. Oh, by the way Vicky would love a pair!!

 
At 9:42 am, Blogger Jacki said...

seriously I think I need some.. you should see the rain here, it's raining heavily again like it did on Saturday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home