Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Exploring NYC

I wonder if...

...blogs will become addictive and I'll be a regular poster or if I'll forget to post at all! No I think I'll remember to post but you'll probably hear more from me than usual over the next few weeks as I explore NYC.

On Sunday I... ate in a Brazilian cafe, tried to go on a tour of the UN Headquarters but couldn't because of all the activity there at the moment, explored Grand Central terminal train station and went to church twice! Let me tell you about church first. The church owns a small building on W 51st St where they have a morning service, attended by about 100 people each week. It's a more family oriented service than the evening one and the worship (music) team is acoustic - guitar and vocal. The evening service is in the Lamb's Theatre, just off Times Square and has a congregation of about 300 people. Since the church only rents the Theatre in the evening everything gets set-up and taken down each week, similar to Every Nation London, except that part of the PA system is inbuilt and from what I can work out, they don't transport stuff to and from the venue each week. Parking in the area of NY where the church office and the Theatre is is near-impossible or very expensive. I was asked to be part of the technical team setting up the PA before the service and packing it away afterwards. They soon realised that I know what I'm doing so they seem quite keen for me to be on the team next week!

Let me also tell you about Grand Central. I've never been to such a nicely built train station. The floors and walls are all marble. It's also very big. When I went downstairs it had a doorway for track 110! It has food halls and shops, including a newsagents with a real abundance of magazines from all over the world. The UK Times newspaper would have cost me a round $7.00 there, which is about £4 compared to the UK selling price of £1.10!! I did without.



Monday - this will be my day off, since Kevin (who I am interning with) has Mondays off as well. So... I slept late - yay!! When I finally left the apartment I was heading for a castle in uptown Manhattan but I realised on the way there (by reading the piece of paper in my posession, doh!) that it's closed on Monday's so switched my direction and went to downtown Manhattan instead. I decided to walk over Brooklyn bridge. It wasn't a 5 minute job, but I loved walking over. I sat on a bench about half way and thought about how amazing it is that I'm in New York and how amazing God is to have brought me here. When I got to Brooklyn (see the sign!) I headed back to Manhattan on the subway to explore the South Seaport. That place is also great. I enjoyed chilling out there (and eating Teryaki chicken with rice!).

Brooklyn Bridge, South Seaport and Grand Central are all places I'd like to go to again because I enjoyed seeing them. The more I see of New York, the more I want to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home